Cyclist narrowly avoids being crushed when half-tonne hay bale falls off trailer

Moment cyclist narrowly avoids being crushed when a half-tonne hay bale falls off trailer on narrow country lane




This is the moment a cyclist was nearly crushed by a half-tonne hay bale when it fell off a passing trailer.

Andy Oram was doing 20mph along a narrow country lane in the Gower peninsula, near Swansea, when the massive bale crashed down in front of him.




GoPro footage shows him escaping serious injury by inches and ripping through the bale's black plastic wrapping which unravelled across his path.




In his footage, taken on Saturday, March 12, Mr Oram can be seen cycling on the lane between Burry Green and Knelston and approaching an oncoming tractor.

The tractor pulls to the side of the road to pass a car in front of the 52-year-old who continues forward at around 20mph.

However, as he reaches the tractor a bale of hay on the trailer it is pulling suddenly falls off and rolls into his path.

Fortunately Mr Oram avoids the bulk of the bale, but has to force his way through its trailing wrapping.

After he stops a second bale of hay can be seen on the road behind the trailer, having also fallen off.

The massage therapist, who is from Barry in south Wales, said: 'It was pretty close. I'm lucky to have gotten away with it.




'I was completely engulfed in this tape. Luckily I punched through it.

'Otherwise it could have slung me back if it had been a little bit tougher.

'All I did was not panic and not drop the bike. It was literally one second from the moment I noticed the hay bale.

'It was all over in a blink of an eye. That's one of the luckiest escapes I think I will ever have.'




The experienced cyclist, who took up the the sport 30 years ago, added: 'It was one of those where I did not have time to think.





'I could say that I kept my cool but that wouldn't really be the truth.




'The truth is that was the line I was on and everything opened up fortuitously.




'I was lucky to get away. It fell my way I guess.'




Mr Oram said it was fortunate he had slowed down on the corner before due to some roadworks that had been set up, as this might have been the thing that saved him.




'That might have even bought me a second where I would have been a little further up the road had I not gone round there cautiously,' he said.

'If I had been inches to the left I would have had the hay bale hit me. I had a gap as wide as me and my bike to get through by the time I passed through.

'On the right within inches there was the tractor trailer which would have been a nasty, nasty bump.


'Or it would have been a half-tonne hay bale coming towards me and hitting me at a head on speed of 25 or 30mph.'

He added that the driver of the tractor was shaken and concerned for his safety.

Mr Oram said he recognised it was an accident and was sympathetic, but suggested it might be wise for the tractor driver to tie down their loads in the future.

Despite the near miss there was no time to rest for Mr Oram though, as he had to cycle ten miles home after the incident.